Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Husemann answers questions about his resignation

An interesting Q&A with Steve Husemann by Mooresville Weekly online:

Steve Husemann recently took time to answer questions from Mooresville Weekly regarding his resignation as town manager.

Town commissioners voted to accept his resignation just after 2 a.m., Tuesday, Jan. 4, following a closed session discussion.

Q: How did the closed-door discussion play out?

A: “I really can’t talk about a closed session.”

Q: How would you describe this board in terms of ownership? Did you find they veered too much into your territory of logistics instead of providing a broad vision?

A: “I think it is common knowledge that I was concerned about the amount that some board members were involved in administration. In all of my previous cities, elected officials were strictly policy makers and not involved in administration. When I interviewed, I described myself as very corporate. i.e. following policies developed by the board and assisting the departments in the fulfillment of those policies. Clearly, members of this board want to play a more aggressive role in administration. It is not for me to say who is wrong or right, but that is not my management style. I suspect that is something that would be addressed as a part of a new direction.”

Q: Was the board’s concern based on the outcome of a decision(s) under your watch or just the working relationship?

A: “I heard very few complaints about decisions under my watch. In fact, I believe that the board expressed a lot of pride in what we have collectively accomplished in the past two years. I think the working relationship was strained. Also believe that the board would have liked for me to be more visible in the community and among the employees. This is something that I never got time to do. I should have made it a higher priority.”

Q: What’s next for you?

A: “I’m not sure what is next. I really like to work and if someone is looking for an exceptionally hard working, experienced and committed city manager, they need look no further. That being said, we do like Mooresville and have developed a lot of friends in the community. I may also do some consulting and some interim manager work. I also hope to do some volunteering.”

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What kind of nut-jobs have meetings at 2 am?

Anonymous said...

Good Riddence...Go back up North where you came from

Anonymous said...

our town board does... it's ridiculous!

Anonymous said...

If by management style he means ignoring the town employees and stripping the authority to make decisions away from department heads and managers.

Anonymous said...

Looks like Montgomery has taken the limelight away from Husemann. Good timing Steve!

Anonymous said...

Agreed 7:08.... couldn't be better timing for ole Steve-o

Anonymous said...

All I’ll say about keeping Smith as City Manager is three things, Library, Golf Course, and Cop’s of Kid’s. Are ya‘ll crazy?