Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Friday, March 28, 2008

Morrison Plantation developers not listed as contributors to mayor's 2007 campaign

I mentioned in my last entry that I had not checked Bill Thunberg’s 2007 mayoral campaign contributions to see if he accepted money from Morrison Plantation developers.

I hate leaving things “open,” so I took a quick trip to the Iredell County Elections Office in Statesville today.

None of the Morrison Plantation developers who contributed to Thunberg's first campaign in 2005 were listed as contributors to his 2007 campaign. Additionally, per the suggestion in the comments that followed yesterday's entry (“Morrison Plantation: still a mess after all these years”), I did not see that anyone from Bristol, Va. or Bristol Virginia Utilities (operators of the M-I Connection cable company) contributed to Thunberg's 2007 campaign.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jaime! I appreciate you checking Mr. Thunberg's campaign finances. The good news is this morning's paper tells me MI-Connection will add "37 Channels"...2 of which will make it to my house.

Anonymous said...

Of course, not all "perks", financial or otherwise, are going to necessarily show up as clean cut campaign contributions. Thunberg's dogged behind-the-scenes championship of the cable deal is common knowledge, whether he knows it or not. Everybody knows it tore him up having to break the tie on cable and show his hand. After that he convinced all the commishes that the world would come to an end if the mayor has to break another tie.

What's in the cable deal for Thunberg? There sure is nothing in it for the rest of us.

Anonymous said...

I just want to remind you that the cable company is Mooresville owned--thus you do have public access! Look at what you can--you might find some folks get perks--like free package upgrades--you never know!

Anonymous said...

I went and did a little digging myself about campaign contributions, not just this election but the previous couple. The first thing I noticed was that Thunberg had spent almost 4-5 times what other mayoral candidates had spent. The second thing I noticed was how much of that money he received from the lawfirm that employs his wife as well as their clients (mostly developers). And we are to believe that in return he "owes" this lawfirm and their clients nothing?