Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Monday, March 3, 2008

The Gatton Report: an introduction

Anthropologist Margaret Meade once said: “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”

Perhaps in no place has that been more evident the past several years than in my hometown of Mooresville, N.C. – a small but burgeoning suburb just north of Charlotte.

Seven years ago, most people who lived in Mooresville considered the town a quaint place to live with an effective government and employees who truly cared for the community and its taxpayers.

Then one day, a citizen who had become passionately involved in our public library started asking questions – namely, why our library was not profitable. Following many attempts by our then-public officials and town employees to silence her – and our local media’s diligent reporting of the issue – the town librarian was indicted on embezzlement charges.

And the number of citizens asking questions grew.

I became one of those people in 2003, when I started covering town government for a local community newspaper, the Mooresville Tribune. In my first three years on that beat, our local government handed the Tribune enough information to earn three consecutive Community Service Awards, the highest honor that the N.C. Press Association awards to a community newspaper.

The scandals unfortunately kept rolling, from the 2004 firing – and, thanks to public pressure, eventual reinstatement – of the current library director (who had replaced the former embezzling librarian), to the town government's October 2004 railroading of the expert opinions of our town staff in their recommendation to hire an engineering firm for our multi-million-dollar wastewater treatment plant expansion. In that case, our then-engineering director Richard McMillan and then-utilities-director Wilce Martin -- along with two other town engineers -- recommended one firm, Black & Veatch, but Mooresville’s then-town board chose to hire a different firm, CH2M Hill, admittedly because one of the firm’s officials is a Mooresville resident and had worked at one time at the town’s wastewater treatment plant.

Two of the town commissioners failed to mention, however, that they attend church and are personal friends with that firm official.

In 2005, Mooresville commissioners hired a new town manager, Jamie Justice. After one year at the town’s helm, Justice fired McMillan and Martin. And shortly thereafter, the FBI launched an investigation into the process by which the Town of Mooresville hired CH2M Hill. Even as recently as last week, that case is apparently not closed.

McMillan and Martin have since sued the town for wrongful discharge in violation of public policy – a case that is scheduled for trial next month.

And in the meantime, our town board – which has experienced an almost complete overturn in commissioners since 2001 – recently asked for Justice’s resignation.

Justice’s last day as Mooresville's town manager was Feb. 3, 2008 – two years, to the day, after he fired McMillan and Martin.

The town has certainly experienced its fair share of natural growing pains and progress in the past decade. But many of the more behind-the-scenes, positive changes that we have witnessed during the past seven years have occurred because of an active, awake citizenry that believes in open, honest government -- and in holding public officials accountable for their actions and decisions.

And it all started with one person asking one question.

So, why a blog? I resigned from the Tribune in November 2006 to stay home with my son. But the "tips" didn't quit when I did. People in the Mooresville community are still hungry for information, and those with the information are looking for a way to put it into the hands of the press and the people.

While I am a firm believer in the power of the press, I know – due to deadlines, pressure from advertisers, etc. – that it’s tempting to “fall asleep at the wheel.” Just as frequently, perhaps mainly due to competition, I've noticed that the press can seemingly compromise its own code of ethics -- or at least carelessly push the envelope -- in an attempt to "get the scoop."

The people in the Mooresville community who appreciated my work at the Tribune will likely also appreciate the introduction and eventual content of this blog. Likewise, the folks who tried to put a lid on me and/or the newspaper during my time there will not be so happy.

Whichever you are, your voice matters to me. And it is my intent through this blog to provide information relevant to our everyday lives in Mooresville – and to foster open dialogue among and between our community’s residents.

I not only welcome but encourage your comments and feedback -- even, and perhaps especially, if they contrast with mine. As this is a forum for open expression and dialogue, I do not intend to edit comments. It goes without saying, then, that the opinions expressed by people in the blog do not necessarily reflect my opinions. Additionally, I ask that those of you who wish to post comments here “fight fair” and be respectful of one another. In the event that we have a difference of opinion, we can all simply and respectfully agree to disagree.

Do I expect to change the world with this blog? Absolutely not. But I do believe that it can and will help us keep our little corner of it clean.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

#1-I love your writing style

#2-I have always loved to hear your Kick me in the Jimmy style of investigative reporting that brings the terds to the alter of public accountability.

#3-I am glad you have found a way to "keep your day job" on your terms.

Can't wait for future blogs...I am hooked.

Love ya,
Mike

Anonymous said...

FINALLY got a hot minute to subscribe. I am SOO excited you finally decided to do this, Jaime. You are so talented and NO ONE tells it like it is quite like you do! LOVE IT!

~Heather S.

Anonymous said...

Your article was never that great and I don't expect your blog to be. Sensationalism isn't journalism. Your "facts" seem to be taken out of context time and time again. I know because I was present for many of the events you discuss in your writings.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jaime Gatton said...

In the prior post, serious allegations were made about a town employee, and I am not aware of any factual basis for said allegations.

If anything, I have knowledge that would actually repudiate the charges.

In clear conscience, I cannot allow my blog to be used to perpetuate the mentioned allegations. Unfortunately, I am not able to edit a portion of a comment; I must remove it in its entirity first. Then, I will re-post the remainder of the statement in a subsequent comment post. At the end of this comment, I have copied and pasted the majority of the comment posted earlier today.

In the meantime, if the poster would like to provide me with evidence to substantiate his/her allegations, I will consider reposting the comment in its entirity. My e-mail is jgatton@windstream.net. Or, if it would make you more comfortable, you may submit the proof of your allegations anonymously as another comment on this blog.

Posters are welcome to post their opinions and facts so long as said facts have merit.

As is stated several places in this blog, I am not responsible for the content of comments posted here. I do not intend to edit comments and undertake no obligation to do so. The purpose of this blog is to foster open dialogue and the sharing of ideas. Serious and unsubstantiated allegations distract from the purpose of the blog. Accusations found to have no merit will not be tolerated, now or ever.

While I want and encourage people -- regardless of their stances -- to post their thoughts, opinions and information here, I will not allow this blog to be a vehicle for unsubstantiated claims.

All posters should be comfortable that any allegations they make are factual.

Back to the original comment. Here is the remaining portion of it:

... the construction and funding for the library plans were put into effect well before (John Pritchard's) hiring and also before the embezzlement case even came to light. He is a piggy backer and paints himself in a false light. Obviously you believe every word he says (http://cache.zoominfo.com/CachedPage/?archive_id=0&page_id=575912218&page_url=%2f%2fwww.mooresvilletribune.com%2fservlet%2fSatellite%3fpagename%3dMOT%252FMGArticle%252FBasicIMDArticle%26c%3dMGArticle%26cid%3d1031773100357%26path%3d!news!localnews&page_last_updated=1%2f18%2f2004+4%3a03%3a47+PM&firstName=John&lastName=Pritchard). Just because someone says something doesn't make it a fact. Ever think of actually checking your sources? Reading your articles is like reading a paper written by a high school student; it’s almost as if everything that was written came straight from Wikipedia or MySpace. The credibility sucks.

Jaime Gatton said...

P.S. To the 1:34 p.m. poster:

Someone, advising me on my journalism career, once passed these words of wisdom along to me:

"There are those people who will love what you do and will read what you write each week. And then there are those people who will despise what you do and will still read what you write each week to see what the 'rabble-rouser' is up to.

"Either way, they’re reading."

Like I said in my introductory post, I want to hear from you, too. Thank you for reading. And for your comment.

Anonymous said...

This is in response to the person who had their comment deleted (the only one I have found deleted on this blog). I am an avid library user and remember fondly the days my own mother would take me to the local library where I would read for hours on end. I watched with deep interest as the situation at the Mooresville library unfolded, and as various high-profile characters were exposed one by one. So I call tell you with certainty that you do not have correct facts with regard to when the library plans were put into effect and when and how the library funding came about. I think before you lecture Ms. Gatton about "facts" you should at the very least attempt to get your own straight. There are numerous town board meeting minutes and newspaper articles, all public record, which would have quickly alerted you to the inaccuracies of your statements, yet you clearly did not take the time to verify what you wrote as "fact", which means you yourself failed to "check your sources", as you are patronizingly advising an award-winning investigative journalist to do (yes, I did check my sources on that "fact" and it is indeed true). If anyone's "credibility" is in question at the moment, it is yours, as is your motivation for attempting to distribute misinformation about this particular subject using Ms. Gatton's blog. One can only imagine how scurrilous your comment must have been to have been deleted.

Anonymous said...

To the "deleted comment" guy (ouch). You said that reading Jaime Gatton's articles is "like reading a paper written by a high school student". If high school students are writing like this, then there is hope for our world! From your mouth to God's ears is all I can say.
To Ms. Gatton. You're obviously ruffling some of the right feathers and getting the right people into hissy fits. Keep ruffling and let the true colors show! The more they try to keep you quiet the louder you ought to sing! The people are behind you!

JH

Anonymous said...

hfczwI think Mr. Pritchard has done an outstanding job at the library--and correct me if I'm wrong, but the library is one the most thriving Dept.s of the Town of Mooresville. I also think they aren't currently under investigation, but the writer of the negative comments obviously doesn't like Mr. Pritchard. It has been said "The hardest thing to bear is a grudge, so do yourself a favor--give it up--you'll live longer. AS for the writer--Gatton, if all the kids could write like her, there would be no child left behind. The comment about ruffling feathers--I think you are on the right track as well--people don't get mad when others tell lies about them, they get mad when you tell the truth! The Mooresville Machine is watching your blog--they are readers, so you have been successful--keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Miss Gatton for writing that "Accusations found to have no merit will not be tolerated, now or ever." People like this have been lying to the rest of us for years behind closed doors, and now they are ticked off because somebody is actually setting the record straight. Some of us believed those lies for a long time, trusting that we were being told the truth. Now those lies can no longer stand the light of day. Shame on them. They know who they are.

Anonymous said...

To the loser who says you write like a high schooler, eat your heart out! Have you read the rest of these blog entries?

And did the other loser whose entry was deleted ever provide any proof of their accusations? Or was it all just hot air?

Just Curious

Anonymous said...

It seems that there are alot of people speaking out against the Town of Mooresville status quo--and also some people trying to discredit this blog--it seems Ms. Gatton has created a stir in the masses--more people are talking about this blog everyday--and the critics can't stand it--if it works--do it. I find it interesting no one is defending some of the comments we're reading regarding "Hardball" influence in government by a few control freaks. I guess that's the case when "big" money wants to make more. Why don't the Marions and Howards of Mooresville look up the definition of Philanthropy and add that to their lives--I guess greed trumps responsability to your community. I am reminded of the saying "How much rice can a Chinaman eat?"

Anonymous said...

Here is something that really floored me. My tax dollar is paying for the firemen to SLEEP. Please set me straight on what I heard. Firemen work a 24 hour shift, so somewhere in that time they have to sleep. I would also hate to think that my house caught fire on that 23rd hour of a shift and they are to tired to do a proper job. Please tell that this not the case, that it was mere gossip or a uninformed citizen.