Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Monday, August 31, 2009

Town/BVU officials can meet today, after all

A couple hours ago, I received an e-mail from Sara-Lynne Levine, communications director for the Town of Davidson. She said the three people who are holding individual conferences with the press today and tomorrow could accommodate a meeting with me today (as opposed to tomorrow), after all.

At first, I agreed, as long as the officials could meet a little later in the afternoon than the 3 p.m. time they proposed for my conference. But after further consideration and discussion, I've decided that I can't go to the meeting because I cannot justify attending a meeting that the public is not allowed to attend.

I sent an e-mail to Levine, thanking her for trying to accommodate my schedule. However, I explained that I am very uncomfortable with the format of the meetings. Various media outlets will be meeting individually to discuss MI-Connection with Mooresville Finance Director Maia Setzer, Davidson Town Manager Leamon Brice and Bristol Virginia Utilities Chief Finance Officer Stacey Bright.

The people of Mooresville and Davidson - who are ultimately responsible for the MI-Connection system - are not invited.

I let Levine know when the three folks holding the individual conferences decide to present themselves publicly and field questions from the public, I will make any necessary adjustments to my schedule to attend that meeting.

No comments: